This Butterscotch Shake is made with vanilla ice cream, Homemade Butterscotch Sauce and a bit of milk for a deliciously thick, smooth and butterscotch-rich milkshake!
Ever since making Salted Butterscotch Sauce from scratch, I’ve been on a bit of a butterscotch kick! My Butterscotch Ice Cream recipe uses the building block ingredients for homemade butterscotch sauce and it’s also drool-worthy! You can also find my delicious homemade butterscotch on my Butterscotch Cake.
Why This Recipe Works
- Butterscotch shake with homemade butterscotch sauce! This creamy butterscotch milkshake really delivers on the flavor because it is made with my homemade salted butterscotch sauce! Trust me when I say that you will get a much more delicious butterscotch flavor with the homemade sauce!
- Dessert with just 3 ingredients and 3 seconds. While 3 seconds is partly a joke, what I’m trying to say is this is the easiest dessert recipe! All you need are 3 ingredients: ice cream, butterscotch sauce and milk! Plop those in the blender and voilà — dessert is served!
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Use any brand of ice cream. You do not need to set out the ice cream in advance to get it soft. The milk in the butterscotch milkshake will help the ice cream blend.
- Butterscotch Sauce: I highly, highly recommend using my Butterscotch Sauce! It’s heavenly. If using the homemade kind, be sure the sauce has cooled.
- Milk: The milk provides necessary liquid to help the ice cream blend in the blender. Feel free to use heavy cream or half and half if you want a bit of a thicker liquid.
- Blend the ingredients. Add the 3 cups vanilla ice cream, homemade butterscotch sauce, and milk to a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the butterscotch shake into a frozen glass and drizzle butterscotch sauce and top with whipped cream! Enjoy immediately.
Pull the ice cream out of the freezer just prior to blending. You want the ice cream nice and frozen. The milk in the blender will help the ice cream blend, so you don’t want to add any more liquid by adding liquid-y or soft ice cream.
Use my Homemade Salted Butterscotch Sauce for the best results!
Pouring the butterscotch shake into a frozen or chilled glass will help the milkshake stay colder longer so it doesn’t start melting right away when you put it in a room temperature glass.
The whipped cream/whipped topping listed in the recipe card it to be used as a topping for the butterscotch shake, not to be added to the blender.
You can also top with butterscotch chips, flaky sea salt, praline candy, chopped Candied Pecans, etc.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
Milkshakes melt fairly quickly! So you’ll want to make this butterscotch milkshake right before enjoying it!
I highly doubt there will be leftovers! But if there are, store the leftovers of this creamy milkshake in a freezer safe jar or container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Remove and let sit at room temperature to soften. You may want to return the milkshake to the blender, add a splash a milk and blend to return to milkshake texture.
Nope! While butterscotch sauce can be made with alcohol, the traditional butterscotch candies and butterscotch sauce is made with just cream, butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. The “scotch” in butterscotch refers scotching the candies, which means to score them.
Butterscotch sauce has cream, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and butter.
Caramel has granulated white sugar and butterscotch has brown sugar. Butterscotch is always made with butter but caramel sauce can sometimes use butter or corn syrup.
Nope, but it sure tastes amazing! This butterscotch milkshake recipe is made with ice cream, butterscotch sauce and milk.
More Delicious and Easy Milkshakes
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Leave a star rating and review or scroll below the recipe card and do so there.
Stay up-to-date by following us on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and Pinterest.
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup butterscotch sauce - cooled (I use my homemade butterscotch recipe and it's amazing!!) highly recommend
- 2 tablespoons milk - or heavy cream
- whipped topping - for topping, optional
- Add the ice cream, butterscotch sauce, and milk to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour the milkshake into a frozen glass and top with your desired toppings such as: whipped cream, additional butterscotch sauce and sea salt, if desired.
One Comment on “Butterscotch Shake”
Absolutely amazing! A new favorite milkshake for our family. Using the homemade butterscotch sauce from your site was a game changer. I’ll never buy butterscotch from the store again.