Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Thick and rich Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars have a sweet and creamy peanut butter base made with graham cracker crumbs, then topped with a smooth chocolate layer.
Is there a better flavor combination than chocolate and peanut butter?! It’s one of my very favorites. Buckeye Brownies, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites are some of my recent favorites!
Why This Recipe Works
- Only 5 ingredients. These yummy peanut butter chocolate bars is an easy recipe with only 5 ingredients that are simple ingredients that are common staples in every pantry!
- Delicious no bake bars. That’s right! No oven required for this delicious chocolate peanut butter dessert.
- Easy to make — easy to eat! Classic peanut butter bars are a fan favorite whenever I make them. I can’t keep them around long enough!
- Freezer friendly. This is the perfect dessert to make, cut, then plop in the freezer to enjoy whenever the craving hits.
- Unsalted Butter: Let the butter soften to room temperature.
- Powdered Sugar: The powdered sugar will sweeten the peanut butter bars without creating a granulated texture.
- Graham Cracker Crumbs: You want fine crumbs so you don’t have excess crunch in the peanut butter layer. I crush my graham crackers in my food processor. If you don’t have on, place in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin until finely crushed.
- Creamy Peanut Butter: Feel free to use crunchy peanut butter if you like the crunch of the peanuts. I don’t use natural peanut butter because the extra oils can change the consistency, but if you use natural pb, just be sure to really stir the peanut butter before measuring!
- Chocolate Chips: You can use semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips — or a mix! Use milk chocolate chips to have a similar taste to Reese’s peanut butter cups!
- Prepare the pan. Line a 8×8-inch pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream peanut butter mixture. To a large bowl add 1/2 cup butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, and 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in the 1 cup creamy peanut butter to the mixing bowl. Press into the prepared dish in an even layer.
- Melt chocolate. Add 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter to a microwave-safe bowl. Melt in 30-second increments until smooth. Spread the melted chocolate mixture on top of the peanut butter layer.
- Chill the chocolate peanut butter bars. Place the pan of no-bake chocolate peanut butter bars in the fridge and chill for 1.5-2 hours. Remove and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Cut with a sharp knife and serve. Enjoy!
The bars can sit at room temperature for a few hours while you are serving them; they are just best enjoyed chilled.
For a homemade Reese’s peanut butter cup flavor, use milk chocolate for the chocolate topping.
Let the no bake peanut butter bars chill to set before cutting to serve.
Stir the chocolate chips every 30-seconds to make sure you don’t over cook and burn the chocolate. You just want it melted until smooth.
Cut the bars in small squares or larger squares depending on how many you’d like to serve.
Looking for a fancy way to serve these peanut butter bars? You can swirl the chocolate after spreading it on the peanut butter layer to create a nice design. Or simply top with some chocolate shavings.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
Make Ahead: You can definitely make chocolate peanut butter bars ahead of time! Simply prepare the bars and store them covered in the fridge until ready to serve.
Storing: Store the chocolate peanut butter bars in the fridge, covered, for up to 1 week. You can also transfer them to an airtight container and store in that. Up to you!
Freezing: You can freeze the entire pan wrapped, or cut the bars and wrap them individually in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag in the freezer. They will keep for up to 2 months. Remove and let that. Enjoy cold.
They are not gluten free due to the graham cracker crumbs in the peanut butter layer. You can purchase a gluten free graham cracker option.
Yes you can! Make, chill, then cut, wrap and freeze the bars. See my Freezing section above for details.
You can, but they add a necessary texture difference in the peanut butter layer. Without the graham cracker crumbs, the peanut butter layer can stick to the roof of your mouth.
More No Bake Peanut Butter Desserts
Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Line an 8 or 9 inch baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter, graham cracker crumbs, and powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in the 1 cup of peanut butter. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and press into an even layer.
- Melt the chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl until smooth. Spread over the peanut butter layer.
- Chill in the refrigerator until firm, about 1.5-2 hours.
- Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes prior to cutting. Serve chilled.
- You can leave the bars out at room temperature for a few hours while serving, but best enjoyed chilled and kept in the fridge. Leftovers will last for 1 week, covered, in the refrigerator.