Fudgy Oreo Brownies
Oreo Brownies are super easy to make and are completely irresistible! Oreo cookies are layered in between the brownie batter and then chopped Oreos scattered on top for perfectly delicious Oreo brownies!
When it comes to making decadent brownies, it’s super easy to use a brownie mix and doctor it up a little bit to make it even better! My Buckeye Brownies are a peanut butter brownies recipe that uses a brownie mix topped with a delicious sweetened peanut butter layer and a smooth chocolate ganache. If you love these fudgy Oreo brownies, then check out the rest of my Oreo Desserts and try my Oreo Truffle Brownies which have a layer of Oreo truffle (cream cheese and Oreo crumbs) topped with chocolate ganache!
Why This Recipe Works
- Oreo packed brownies. These Oreo brownies are seriously the best brownies! There I a layer of Oreos in the middle of the brownies. It’s perfect because they get a bit soft from being baked in the batter, but they aren’t mushy. Plus, you can tell the Oreos are there, you don’t lose them or their flavor in the Oreo brownies!
- Easy Oreo brownies. This easy Oreo brownie recipe is all thanks to using brownie mixes! I’m a big fan of the Ghirardelli brownies mixes (I buy mine at Costco) and it makes this recipe super easy and simple!
- Fudgy Oreo brownies. If you follow my instructions to take the brownies out when the top is crackly and the toothpick comes out with batter on it (about 45 minutes) then you’ll get amazingly fudgy brownies! You don’t want to over bake these.
- Boxed Brownie Mix: You’ll also need the ingredients listed on the brownie box (typically eggs and vegetable oil). This Oreo brownie recipe is simply making a boxed brownie mix and adding Oreos! I used Ghirardelli brand. You’ll need two 20 oz brownie mixes. However, you can use two 18.3 oz brownie mixes or two 18 oz brownie mixes.
- Oreos: You’ll want whole Oreos to layer in the brownie mix and then we’ll add some chopped Oreos on top (as pictured)!
- Make the brownie mix. Follow the instructions on the brownie box and make the brownie batter as instructed by combining the ingredients in a large mixing bowl (remember, we are doubling it so you’ll have either 2 bags/boxes of brownie mix).
- Spoon half into prepared baking pan. Pour half of the batter into a 9×13-inch baking pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Spread into an even layer.
- Line with Oreos. Take the Oreo cookies and line them on top of the brownie batter to cover the entire pan.
- Pour remaining batter. Pour the rest of the batter on top of the Oreos. Smooth into an even layer so brownie batter is covering all the Oreos.
- Sprinkle with chopped Oreos. Take the Oreo pieces and distribute them over the entire pan.
- Bake. Bake the Oreo brownies at 325°F for 45 minutes on the middle rack of your oven. Remove when the top of the brownies have a crinkly top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with some brownie batter on it (this is how you’ll get extra fudgy brownies). Let cool for 1-2 hours before cutting — they’ll set up as they cool. Enjoy!
I recommend using the brand name Oreos and not a grocery store off-brand so you get the best flavor in this Oreo cookie brownie recipe!
Cut the fudgy Oreo brownies with a plastic knife (they are naturally nonstick) to avoid the brownies from sticking as you’re cutting.
Don’t over mix the brownie batter. Once you barely barely don’t see dry ingredients, stop mixing — you can even stop mixing with just a tiny bit of dry ingredients still seen.
Feel free to line the pan with parchment paper instead of greasing it. It helps to scrunch the paper into a ball to get it to lay better in the pan.
Seriously, layering chocolate Oreo cookies in the middle of the brownie batter is blowing my mind! I mean, we could do that with Reese’s peanut butter cups, rolos, graham crackers and marshmallow fluff for a s’mores brownie! … oh man, the options are endless! (*Cue writing all these recipes so we can all enjoy them…)
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
Since there is a layer of Oreos in between the brownie batter, I wouldn’t make the batter ahead of time and bake later. Make the batter and bake it right after.
Store Oreo brownies in a ziplock bag or airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
To freeze, let cool completely and then wrap the pan twice in plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to 1 month. To freeze brownie squares, cut and wrap in plastic wrap and store in a freezer safe bag in the freezer for up to 2 months. Remove and let thaw in the fridge.
Yes you can! You can freeze the entire pan if you’d like, just tightly wrap it twice in plastic wrap once completely cooled and freeze for up to 1 month. Remove and let thaw in the fridge overnight. You can also freeze the Oreo brownies in individual squares by wrapping in plastic wrap and storing in a ziplock bag in the freezer.
It’s super easy! Just follow the brownie box instructions (use 2 boxes) and pour half the batter in the pan, line with Oreos, pour the remaining half of the batter, and top with chopped Oreos. Bake at 325ºF for 45 minutes and you’re done!
You probably over baked them. 45 minutes should be the magic number. It’s better to pull the brownies out early than late. Put a toothpick in the center of the pan and if there is some batter on it, you’re good! You want really fudgy brownies — and this is how you’ll get the best fudgy brownies ever!
Fudgy brownies are created due to more fat than flour — cakey brownies have more flour than fat. But, believe it or not, the ingredients aren’t the only thing that makes brownies fudgy. It doesn’t matter if you have the perfect fudgy brownies ingredients, if you over bake them, they won’t be fudgy anymore. This is why pulling the brownies out a tad underdone is so helpful!
More Brownie Recipes
Fudgy Oreo Brownies
- 2 20 oz boxed brownie mix - AND INGREDIENTS CALLED FOR ON THE BOX. I used Ghirardelli brand. This recipe is very forgiving so you can also use 2 – 18.3 oz box brownie mixes or 2 – 18 oz brownie mixes.
- 24 Oreo's
- 6 Oreo's - roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray a 9”x13” inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together the boxed brownie mix and ingredients called for on the directions.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared baking pan. Spread into an even layer so that it covers the bottom of the pan.
- Line the Oreos on top of the brownie batter. I used 24 Oreos, but you may only need 20. Pour the remaining brownie batter overtop of the Oreo’s and smooth into an even layer. The batter should cover all of the Oreo’s.
- Sprinkle the chopped Oreo’s overtop of the brownie batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes. The top will be crackly, a toothpick inserted in the center should come out with some brownie batter on it. Let the brownies cool for 1-2 hours before cutting into. As the brownies cool they will set and be super fudgy!