Oreo Muddy Buddies
Oreo Muddy Buddies is a fun twist on your favorite traditional version of Muddy Buddies! The cookies and cream muddy buddies flavor is created by mixing up two batches of muddy buddies — one with white chocolate and powdered sugar, and another with milk chocolate and Oreo crumbs!
If you follow me on social media, then you’ll know that I make my Small Batch Muddy Buddies a few times a week! They are serious that good! AND if you’re following along here, then you’ll know I have a sweet spot for Oreo Desserts — soooo of course I had to combine my two favorite things with this Oreo Muddy Buddies recipe. And let me tell you, they are goooood!
Why This Recipe Works
- Cookies and cream muddy buddies recipe. We really bring out the cookies and cream element in this Oreo puppy chow recipe by making a white chocolate-coated Chex doused in powdered sugar, then a milk chocolate-coated Chex covered in Oreo crumbs!
- Includes Oreo cookie chunks. Adding some chunks of Oreos in this fun snack is the perfect way to bring out more of that Oreo vibe.
- Generously coated Chex mix. Each of the Chex cereal pieces is generously coated in either milk chocolate or white chocolate — making this favorite snack even more tempting.
- Sweet snack made without peanut butter. If you or someone in your family has a peanut allergy, this is a great muddy buddies without peanut butter recipe!
- Rice Chex Cereal: This Oreo muddy buddies recipe is made in two batches. We divide Chex cereal into one made with white chocolate and powdered sugar and another made with milk chocolate and Oreo crumbs. Combining those together will give us the perfect cookies and cream muddy buddy recipe!
- Chocolate Chips: You’ll need Milk Chocolate Chips and White Chocolate Chips for this recipe.
- Oreos: Keep the cream filling in the Oreos when crushing them into fine crumbs. You can use a food processor or, if you don’t have a food processor, place the Oreos in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to make Oreo crumbs. You’ll also need about extra Oreos roughly broken up to add to the mixture.
- Powdered Sugar: The powdered sugar will coat the white chocolate-coated Chex cereal.
- Make the milk chocolate muddy buddies. Place 2 1/2 cups of Chex in a bowl. Place 3/4 cup crushed Oreos in a large ziplock bag.
- Melt the milk chocolate. Melt 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until melted, stirring after 30 second increments. Pour melted chocolate over the Chex and stir until fully coated.
- Coat in Oreo crumbs. Pour the chocolate-coated cereal in the bag with the Oreo crumbs. Seal, then shake to coat. Set aside.
- Make the white chocolate muddy buddies. Place 2 1/2 cups Check in a bowl. Place 2/3 cup powdered sugar in a large ziplock bag.
- Melt the white chocolate. Place 3/4 cup white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Pour melted white chocolate over the Chex and stir until fully coated.
- Coat in powdered sugar. Pour the white chocolate-coated cereal in the bag with the powdered sugar. Seal, then shake to coat.
- Let set. Pour each of the cereal mixtures onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with the chopped Oreos (or mini Oreo cookies), then toss the mixture together to combine. Enjoy!
When coating the Chex cereal in the white chocolate, work quickly! White chocolate tends to set fast.
Make sure the chocolate has covered each piece of cereal.
Be sure to get a very fine crumb with the Oreo cookies, since this will be coating the cereal.
Letting each muddy buddies mixture set before tossing them together will make it so the cereals don’t transfer as much of their coatings onto other pieces.
You’ll still get some transferring of the powdered sugar or Oreo crumbs, but it will mostly just look like cookies and cream muddy buddies!
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
You can make this Oreo muddy buddies ahead of time and store it in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag at room temperature for 4-5 days.
You can freeze muddy buddies, too if you’d like. Just store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Remove and let thaw, or enjoy cold!
Classic muddy buddies are a classic snack made with chocolaty-peanut butter coated Chex cereal coated in powdered sugar. This Oreo muddy buddies recipe is a delicious new take on that favorite snack. They are sometimes known as puppy chow — or my family even called them dog food growing up!
Yes you can. I love muddy buddies with milk chocolate, so that’s what I prefer, but you can use semi-sweet chocolate if you’d prefer.
They will stay fresh if stored in an airtight container for up to 7 days, but I think they are best within the first 4-5 days.
More Oreo Recipes
Oreo Muddy Buddies
- 5 cups Rice Chex cereal - (or Corn Chex cereal), divided
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup Oreos - crushed into a fine powder (crush the FULL Oreo including the filling)
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 6 Oreos - chopped
- Portion the Chex cereal in half. Place each portion (2 ½ cups of cereal worth) in 2 separate medium sized bowls.
- Add crushed Oreos to large zip bag.
- Add powdered sugar to large zip bag.
- Place the milk chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at half power, stirring well at each 30 second increment. Continue doing this until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate over one of the bowls filled with Rice Chex. Stir to combine, making sure the chocolate has covered each piece of cereal. Pour this mixture into the bag that has crushed Oreo crumbs in it. Shake to coat, and set aside.
- Place the white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Melt the white chocolate. Pour over the second bowl of Rice Chex cereal. Use a large spoon and stir until the cereal is coated in white chocolate (work quickly… white chocolate tends to set fast!). Transfer this mixture to the ziplock bag filled with powdered sugar. Toss to coat.
- Pour each bag of cereal onto a parchment lined baking sheet to set. Sprinkle the chopped oreos amongst the chex mixture. And toss to combine.