German Chocolate Brownies
German Chocolate Brownies are exactly what you need right now! Made with a thick and chewy chocolate brownie base, then topped with a rich and buttery (toasted) coconut pecan frosting, these brownies will have you begging for seconds.
It goes without saying that I’ve been a bit obsessed with all things German Chocolate Cake. I’ve been testing all sorts of chocolate recipes. The truth is, I just want to slather the buttery coconut pecan frosting on top of everything! It’s my weakness! I love it so much.
I’m sharing a chocolate mousse filled German chocolate cupcake recipe very soon. You’ll definitely want to make them! Even thinking about them sends me into a spiral of never ending chocolate cravings.
How to make German Chocolate Brownies
After you’ve made these German Chocolate brownies make Nutella Brownies. Oh gosh, they’re so good! Yay for brownies!
To make the brownie batter begin by melting the butter and chocolate together. For the chocolate you can use a bar of baking chocolate chopped into small pieces (6 oz worth) or 1 cup of chocolate chips. Hint, 1 cup of chocolate chips equals 6 oz.
Pro tip: microwave on half power and mix every 30 seconds. This will prevent the chocolate from burning.
Once the butter and chocolate are melted let the mixture sit for 5 minutes or so. However, if your butter/chocolate mixture isn’t super hot, feel free to move ahead without letting the mixture cool slightly.
Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, water (or brewed coffee if you’re a coffee lover) and instant espresso. You don’t need to use brewed coffee or instant espresso, but you can if you want to enhance the chocolate flavor. I personally don’t drink coffee, so I use water. It tastes delicious either way!
Stir in the flour and salt. Pour the batter into an 8″x8″ square pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray or is lined with parchment paper.
Bake the German Chocolate Brownies
Bake the brownies for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, but no batter.
Cool the brownies before frosting them.
Toasted Coconut Pecan Frosting
I highly suggest you toast the coconut and the pecans for this frosting. It amps up the flavor and texture tremendously. If you need help, I wrote a post about how to toast coconut, so check that out if you have any questions regarding the process.
To make the frosting add the cream, sugar, egg yolks, and salt to a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often. Once the mixture comes to a low boil, turn the heat down to medium-low and continue cooking until the mixture has thickened, about 3-5 more minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the butter, vanilla, pecans, and toasted coconut. Stir until the butter has melted and everything is combined.
Let sit at room temperature until cooled, then frost the brownies.
This is a really easy German Chocolate brownie recipe! I hope you give it a try!
If you love these German Chocolate Brownies, try these recipes:
SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER
If you love these recipes, be sure and subscribe. You’ll get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox…. you don’t want to miss out!
And don’t forget, if you make a recipe from my blog be sure to share it on social media. Tag @saltandbaker and #saltandbaker so I can see what you’re cookin’ in your kitchen!
German Chocolate Brownies
Coconut Pecan Frosting
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans - finely chopped
- 1 cup toasted sweetened shredded coconut - i like to do a heaping cup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a microwave safe bowl add the butter and chocolate . Microwave on half power until butter and chocolate are melted. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes or until slightly warm but no longer piping hot.
- Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, water (or coffee), and instant espresso (if using) and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the flour and salt, don’t overmix.
- Pour the batter into an 8x8 pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray or been lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs but no batter. Every oven differs so yours might take a little longer.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Once cool top with coconut pecan frosting.
Coconut Pecan Frosting
- In sauce pan combine heavy cream, sugar, egg yolks and salt. Cook over medium low until comes to a low boil. Stir constantly. Once it comes to a small boil and has thickened, remove from heat and add the butter, vanilla, pecans and coconut. Stir until butter has melted and everything is combined.
- Let sit at room temperature until cooled.