This Oreo Frosting is loaded with Oreo crumbs for the most amazing Oreo buttercream! The frosting tastes like the frosting version of an Oreo Milkshake!
We love using this Oreo frosting recipe on Chocolate Oreo Cookies, Fudgy Oreo Brownies, and Oreo Cupcakes! Using America’s favorite cookie for a delicious frosting is a game changer for my Oreo desserts!
Why This Recipe Works
- Packed with Oreos. This Oreo frosting uses 12 whole Oreos to really pack in that delicious Oreo flavor! Plus, the remaining items are simple ingredients!
- Perfectly sweet. The Oreos will add some sweetness to the frosting, so we are only using 3 cups of powdered sugar (most American buttercream recipes will use around 4-5).
- The best Oreo frosting! We are big Oreo lovers here, and this easy Oreo frosting is our all-time favorite on brownies, cakes, and desserts to bring in that delicious flavor of Oreo cookies to any dessert.
- Unsalted Butter: You can either use room temperature butter or use butter that is slightly cool, it will just require a bit more beating to get the smooth base of this frosting.
- Powdered Sugar: Typically I’d say you can sift the powdered sugar to keep things smooth, but you’ll be adding the Oreo crumbs in anyway, so up to you!
- Heavy Cream: Feel free to add extra heavy cream if needed. Just only add 1 tablespoon heavy cream at a time so you don’t end up with too soft of a texture.
- Oreo Cookies: When you put the Oreos in the food processor, keep the cream filling in them! The crushed Oreos are better this way. You’ll also want the Oreos to be in fine crumbs. This will help the frosting pipe easier.
- Cream the butter. Add 1 cup unsalted softened butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or you can use a large bowl and a hand mixer!). Cream on medium speed for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and heavy cream. Add 3 cups powdered sugar and 5-6 T heavy cream and whip until smooth.
- Add Oreo crumbs and vanilla. Place 12 Oreo cookies into a food processor. Pulse until it becomes a fine powder. Add the Oreo crumbs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 1/2 tsp salt to the bowl with the Oreo frosting. Mix for 2 minutes. The frosting should be light and fluffy. Add more heavy cream as needed (one tablespoon at a time).
- Frost! Use this delicious Oreo buttercream frosting to frost cookies, cakes, cupcakes, and brownies. Enjoy!
This Oreo frosting recipe makes enough frosting for 16 cupcakes.
Be sure to use a large piping tip if using a piping bag to frost. This will make it easier for the frosting to come through due to the Oreo crumbs.
You’re welcome to have a few chunks of Oreos in the frosting, but you probably won’t be able to pipe it! So keep that in mind. Feel free to add Oreo chunks onto your desserts after piping the frosting.
An easy way to change up this recipe is to use a different type of Oreo! You can use golden Oreos or mint Oreos for a fun frosting twist.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
To make Oreo frosting ahead of time, simply make the frosting as instructed and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
For best results, store desserts with Oreo frosting on them in the fridge.
To freeze, be sure the airtight container is freezer safe. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Remove and let thaw in the fridge overnight. Then let come to room temperature before beating again to return to a fluffy texture.
No. Keep the filling in the Oreos.
Add more powdered sugar! To make frosting thinner, slowly add more heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time. Feel free to adjust until you reach your desired consistency.
Place the Oreos in a ziplock bag. Push as much of the air out as possible. Seal the bag completely. Then, using a rolling pin, roll over the cookies to crush them until they reach your desired texture.
More Oreo Desserts
- 1 cup unsalted butter - softened to room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 5-6 tablespoons heavy cream - more if needed
- 12 Oreo cookies - pulsed into fine powder (keep the filling inside the Oreo cookies)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment cream the butter until smooth, about 1 minute on medium speed. Add the powdered sugar and heavy cream and whip until smooth. Add the vanilla extract, crushed Oreos, and salt. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy. About 2 minutes. Add more heavy cream, a tablespoon at a time, if needed, to reach your desired consistency.
- When piping this frosting use a tip that has a bigger diameter, sometimes the crushed Oreo cookies can clog up smaller piping tips.