This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Spice Cake has three moist layers of absolute perfection! This spice cake made from scratch is topped with a silky smooth cream cheese frosting so good you’ll lick your plate clean.
Spice cake has been one of my favorite cakes of all time. I’m a big lover of cloves, nutmeg, and CINNAMON!
Gimme all the cinnamon!
Good news folks, this spice cake recipe is PACKED with alllll the lovely spices your heart craves.
You can make this spice cake recipe into 3 layers or 2 layers. Personally, I love the look of a 3 layer cake so that’s what I did.
I used 3 6-inch cake rounds, but you can use 2 9-inch cake rounds if you’d like. The bake time will be a little different so keep an eye on the oven if you choose to go with a cake pan size larger than 6 inches.
Spice Cake Ingredients
The spices used in this spice cake recipe include:
- Ground cloves
- Ground nutmeg
Basically the best spices known to man.
This is an easy cake recipe and it tastes so good. I think it’s perfect for this time of year too. I love when the warm aroma of spices fills the kitchen❤️
How to make Spice Cake
This is an easy spice cake recipe, and to make it even easier, I used my stand mixer.
Add the shortening and sugars to the bowl of your stand mixer and mix until combined.
Add the eggs to the shortening and sugar mixture and mix again.
Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl. This includes the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and all of the spice cake spices. Whisk the ingredients so that everything is evenly incorporated.
Alternate adding the dry ingredients and buttermilk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
Mix until everything is combined.
Beat on medium-low speed for 30 seconds and then divide the batter evenly amongst the 3 cake pans. To make sure I had equal amounts of batter in each cake pan I used a kitchen scale.
Bake the cakes for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Remove the cake pans from the oven and let them cool IN the pan for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, revert the cakes onto a wire rack to cool until just *slightly* warm.
I don’t let my cakes cool completely. I want them just *barely* warm. When they cool completely the cakes tend to dry out. Nobody wants a dry cake!
Cake cooling tips
Lightly spray a cooling rack with nonstick cooking spray prior to inverting your cake onto it. This prevents the cake from sticking to the wire rack. Genius, really.
Spice Cake Frosting
I wanted a to pair this spice cake with a light and fluffy cream cheese frosting. I don’t love cream cheese frostings, but this one is dang good!
Having 3 cake layers meant I needed a large amount of frosting to top the cakes with.
I used very generous amount of frosting between each cake layer and did a crumb coat around the cake.
You can add a thicker coating of frosting on the outside if you want. This is what I opted to do and it turned out perfectly, but having a thicker coating of frosting along the exterior would be beautiful as well.
More cake recipes you’ll love:
- Pumpkin Cake
- Angel Food Cake
- Funfetti Cake
- Gingerbread Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Cake
- German Chocolate Cake recipe
If you enjoy these recipes, consider joining thousands of others in the Salt & Baker community! You can do so by signing up below!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk *might need more
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 3-6 inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Add the shortening and sugars to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed for one minute. Add the eggs. Mix until combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the buttermilk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Once all of the dry ingredients have been added, mix on low speed until JUST combined!
- Divide the batter evenly amongst the 3 cake pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes. (Mine baked for 27 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool until a bit warmer than room temperature. *
- Frost the cake. Enjoy!
- Add the cream cheese and butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix until combined
- Add milk until you reach desired consistency.