Strawberries and Cream (Fresas con Crema)
Strawberries and Cream (fresas con crema in Spanish) is a popular Mexican dessert made with fresh strawberries swimming in a sweetened cream and milk mixture. It’s the perfect fresh snack or easy dessert when you’re craving something sweet but looking for a healthier option!
While this cream mixture uses sweetened condensed milk and sour cream, we also love serving fresh fruit with some homemade Greek Yogurt Whipped Cream or Coconut Whipped Cream for a diary-free option. Or for another Mexican dessert recipe, try my Arroz con Leche (Mexican Rice Pudding) or my Horchata Cake!
Why This Recipe Works
- Perfect crema sauce. I opted to use slightly less evaporated milk so the cream mixture isn’t so liquidy. I find the thicker texture is perfect with the fresh strawberries.
- Perfect way to enjoy strawberries. This easy fresas con crema recipe is our favorite way to enjoy some fresh strawberries! This is a simple recipe that uses simple ingredients. The sweetened cream mixture is the perfect complement and make this a tasty snack or dessert you can whip up in no time at all!
- Fresh Strawberries: Use ripe strawberries! You can use store-bought strawberries or use some homegrown strawberries from your garden during strawberry season!
- Sour Cream: Feel free to use full fat sour cream, light or fat free. If you want to sub for Plain Greek Yogurt, you can as well. The sour cream (or Plain Greek Yogurt if using) add a nice tangy flavor.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: This is the sweetener for the fresas con crema, so we don’t want to omit it! It helps to counter the tartness of the sour cream.
- Evaporated Milk: Add more or less to get your desired consistency.
- Pure Vanilla Extract: The vanilla really adds that extra flavor for the cream to make it taste more like the sweetened whipped cream we are all used to.
- Prepare the strawberries. Thoroughly rinse the strawberries then hull them (remove the stem without removing the fleshy part of the strawberry). Slice or cut into whatever shape or size you want. Place the prepared strawberries in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the sweet cream sauce. Combine 2 cups sour cream, 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, 1/3 cup evaporated milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Assemble the fresas con crema cups. In small cups or serving bowls, spoon about 1/2 cup juicy strawberries and top with 1/2 cup of the sweetened cream sauce. Top with 1/4 cup strawberries and serve!
You can use light or full fat sour cream. Feel free to swap out the sour cream for plain non-fat Greek yogurt as well.
If you want the mixture to be less sweet, you can reduce the sweetened condensed milk to 3/4 cup.
Want a more liquidy cream texture? Add more evaporated milk. I wanted the creamy sauce to be a bit thicker in consistency so I reduced the amount of evaporated milk.
This Mexican crema recipe uses sour cream and not heavy whipping cream. This creates a thicker consistency and adds a flavor dimension that pairs well with the sweetened condensed milk. We aren’t making whipped cream – we don’t need an electric mixer to whip heavy cream into stiff peaks — this is a sauce and not a thickened fluffy cream.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
You can prepare the strawberries hours or even 1 day before you want to serve fresas con crema for a dessert or snack.
Store any leftover strawberries and cream in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can store them together, but for best results, store in separate containers.
You can freeze strawberries and cream. Store in individual container and freeze for up to 1 month. Remove and let thaw or enjoy frozen or semi-frozen.
You can serve strawberries and cream with whatever cream you’d like! This recipe uses a dairy mixture of sour cream, evaporated milk, and sweetened condensed milk. But even whipped cream is delicious with fresh strawberries
Strawberries and cream is a great healthy dessert option! It is made with sweetened condensed milk, which as the name suggests, is sweet. But if you are wanting to satisfy your sweet tooth while still eating something much healthier than chocolate cake, this is the recipe for you! Feel free to reduce the amount of cream you serve with it if you’d like to make it more healthy. Or you can make the mixture slightly healthier by using less sweetened condensed milk and fat free sour cream.
Strawberries and cream is a popular Mexican dessert (which is fresas con crema in Spanish). It is a simple dessert made with fresh strawberries sliced and served with a delicious cream mixture made of vanilla extract, evaporated milk, sour cream, and sweetened condensed milk.
We love serving this easy strawberry dessert in clear cups so you can see how pretty it looks! But feel free to serve in any cups, glasses, or bowls you have. If you don’t have clear cups, a small mason jar works well!
You can use plain greek yogurt as a substitute for the sour cream if you’d like.
More Recipes Using Strawberries
- Strawberry Mocktail
- Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri
- Strawberry Shortcake Trifle
- Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie
- Kiwi Strawberry Popsicles
Strawberries and Cream (Fresas con Crema)
- 1.5 pounds fresh strawberries
- 2 cups sour cream - light or full fat is fine
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk - or half and half or whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Clean and hull the strawberries. Slice or dice the strawberries (whatever your preference may be) and place the strawberries in a medium sized bowl.
- In a large bowl whisk the sour cream, sweetened condensed milk, half and half, and vanilla extract to combine.
- In small serving bowls, or cups, spoon ½ cup of strawberries then top with ½ cup of the cream mixture. Finally add an additional ¼ cup of strawberries to the top. Enjoy immediately or store in the fridge for up to 4 days.