Greek Yogurt Whipped Cream
This Greek Yogurt Whipped Cream recipe takes homemade whipped cream to a whole new level with a silky smooth and creamy texture and sweet and tangy flavor!
My favorite is to cut up some fresh fruit or berries and put a hefty dollop of this cream right on top! You can also use it on top of my Banoffee Pie Recipe, serve it with my Crustless Pumpkin Pie, Asphalt Pie or my Easy Apple Crisp Recipe. There are so many fun ways to use this recipe!
Why This Recipe Works
- Filling. This yogurt whipped cream fills you up thanks to the added protein in the Greek yogurt! I use the Fage brand of Greek yogurt and just 1 cup of Fage 0% Greek Yogurt provides 23 grams of protein and only 9 grams of sugar! That’s incredible!
- Healthier dessert recipe. If you are looking for a healthy and light dessert, this is it! The Greek yogurt in the cream makes it so much healthier for you than regular whipped cream. It also is perfect with fresh fruit/berries, which makes it such a light and refreshing dessert recipe! It satisfies your sweet tooth without experiencing any sense of guilt when eating!
- Heavy Cream: Either heavy cream or heavy whipping cream is fine to use.
- Powdered Sugar: Using powdered sugar will help the texture be smooth. Granulated sugar would be too gritty with the amount we are using.
- Vanilla Extract: The vanilla extract helps enhance the flavor of the cream and yogurt, while providing a dimension of flavor, too.
- Plain Greek Yogurt: Any brand of plain Greek yogurt will be fine. My favorite is Fage.
- Whip the cream. Add the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add the yogurt. Add the greek yogurt and mix on medium speed for 15 seconds or until fully incorporated. Serve with fruit or on top of pancakes, waffles, or pies!
Make sure the heavy cream and yogurt are COLD. This helps it whip up better.
Be sure to watch the mixer while you are whisking the cream. Cream can easily go from whipped to over whipped.
Don’t mix for too long after adding in the yogurt. You may think that would help it get thicker, but it actually does the opposite. You can also just fold in the yogurt if you’d like.
For serving, we like to add chopped fresh fruit such as strawberries, peaches, or blueberries on top of the Greek yogurt whipped cream and drizzled with buttermilk syrup!
Try out my Strawberries and Cream recipe if you love that fruit and cream combination.
Looking for a dairy free whipped cream? Try my Coconut Whipped Cream recipe!
Wanting something chocolate-y instead? Use my Nutella Whipped Cream!
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
Store the Greek yogurt whipped cream in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
This whipped cream with Greek yogurt recipe is best used fresh. While you can make this recipe in advance, just note that the texture may be a little bit more lax on day 2 or 3, but it is still super delicious even a day or 2 later!
Do not freeze. When dairy is frozen, it separates upon thawing.
Any brand of plain Greek yogurt will work just fine! My favorite brand is Fage. I use the 0% milkfat.
Just like when you whisk anything else, air pockets form and a lighter texture is created. In this recipe, we beat the heavy cream until it turns into whipped cream, then we add the Greek yogurt and whisk until light and combined.
Yes you can. I prefer Greek yogurt because I love the flavor of it. If you want to use regular yogurt, I would recommend to still use plain instead of any kind of flavor.
I recommend whipping the cream separately to get the stiff peaks and then add the yogurt. You’ll get a better whipped structure this way.
It’s the fat content. Heavy cream and heavy whipping cream typically have 36% milk fat and whipping cream a bit less with around 30%. Heavy cream and heavy whipping cream are the same thing.
- Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes
- Chocolate Chip Waffles
- Angel Food Cake Recipe
- Cinnamon Baked Apples Recipe
- Fresh Peach Pie
- Easy Peach Cobbler Recipe
Greek Yogurt Whipped Cream
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup (heaping) powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or you can use hand beaters), add the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. Beat on medium high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add the greek yogurt to the whipped cream. Mix on medium speed for 15 seconds or until fully incorporated.
- Serve! You can also put it in the fridge to chill. This is best served the same day. *
This recipe was originally published on March 30, 2018. It was republished on March 10, 2022, to include additional information and photos.