This asphalt pie is a delicious ice cream pie with a sweet, crunchy Oreo cookie pie crust, cold mint chocolate chip ice cream, drizzled with rich caramel sauce and topped with fluffy whipped cream and Oreo cookie crumbs! It tastes just like the Winger’s asphalt pie recipe — trust me, you’re going to love it!
My husband and I were gushing over this Oreo mint pie. The Oreo pie crust, mint ice cream and caramel sauce go so well together! I’m a big fan of pies and especially pies with a cookie crust! Be sure to try my graham cracker pie crust out on your favorite pie recipes!
Why This Recipe Works
- Literally so easy to make. This pie recipe is probably the easiest pie you could make! The oreo crust is simple and easy to make, and really, the only thing you have to make is the whipped cream that goes on top! Simply let the ice cream soften, spread it, freeze it, and top it! That’s all 🙂
- So good you’ll come back for thirds. There is something so comforting and delicious about the Oreo and mint combination. Plus, add that drizzle of caramel sauce and you’re set! This is definitely a crowd-pleasing dessert.
- No matter what you call it, it’s good! This pie goes by many names. I’m most familiar with it from eating at Winger’s and getting their famous Winger’s asphalt pie. However, many people also call it a grasshopper pie. Whichever one you use, they mean the same delicious mint pie! (Also, if you’re a Winger’s fan, try out my Wingers sticky fingers!)
- Oreo Pie Crust: Follow my simple crust recipe or streamline it and use a store-bought one. However, homemade pie crusts — even cookie crusts — are much better (trust me 🙂 )
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: We love the Blue Bell ice cream, so that is our go-to. But use whatever brand you have available or a different one you prefer!
- Caramel: I just used the Ghirardelli caramel sauce. However, you’re welcome to use a different brand or to make your own.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer to let it soften.
- Once the ice cream is soft, scoop the ice cream into the pie crust and use a spatula or spoon to smooth it into an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 4 hours or until firm.
- When you’re ready to serve the grasshopper pie, place the heavy cream and powdered sugar in a bowl and whip with hand beaters or an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the pie from the freezer, spread or pipe the whipped cream over the pie. Drizzle with caramel sauce and sprinkle with crushed Oreos.
- Slice and serve immediately.
- Store covered in the freezer for up to 1 month.
You can make this pie ahead of time by preparing the Oreo crust, spreading the mint ice cream and storing, covered, in the freezer for even a week or two ahead of time.
Be sure to let your mint chocolate chip ice cream get soft enough that you can spread it.
You can switch out the mint chocolate chip ice cream for basically whatever ice cream you like! Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, Oreo ice cream, or chocolate ice cream with your favorite mix-ins. Go fruity with a raspberry ice cream and hot fudge sauce!
Grasshopper pie is made with an Oreo cooking pie crust base, mint chocolate chip cream and is topped with whipped cream and caramel sauce.
Grasshopper pie is named after the grasshopper cocktail, which is a green-colored, mint-flavored cocktail.
Definitely! If you are in a pinch, using a store-bought crust can really speed things up. However, I’m a huge sucker for a homemade pie crust — even cookie crusts — because I think they have better flavor and texture. You can tell they are homemade by how they taste!
More Delicious Pies
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a rating and review, or scroll below the recipe card and do so there.
Stay up-to-date by following us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
- 1 9 inch prepared Oreo pie crust
- 1.5 quarts mint chocolate chip ice cream - slightly softened
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- crushed Oreos
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer to let soften. Once softened scoop the ice cream into the pie crust and use a spatula or spoon to smooth the ice cream into an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 4 hours or until firm.
- When ready to serve place the heavy cream and powdered sugar in a bowl and whip with hand beaters or an electric mixer (fitted with whisk attachment) until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the pie from the freezer, spread or pipe the whipped cream over the pie. Drizzle caramel sauce overtop and lastly sprinkle the crushed Oreo’s to finish off the dessert!
- Slice and serve immediately.
- Store covered, in the freezer for up to 1 month.
One Comment on “Asphalt Pie”
This pie is phenomenal!! The pie crust and the mint chip ice cream with the caramel on top was a huge treat. We served it at a dinner party and everyone loved it.