Movie Theater Popcorn
I have good news: you no longer need to go to the movie theater to eat movie theater style popcorn! Today I’m sharing how to make movie theater popcorn at home! This popcorn recipe requires only 3 ingredients and it tastes JUST like the stuff they serve at the theaters.
Friday night is movie night at our house. And I’m finally sharing my secret to making movie theater popcorn at home! We’ve been making this popcorn recipe nonstop, and for good reason… this stuff is AMAZING.
You need a few simple ingredients, 3 to be exact:
- Coconut oil, vegetable oil, or canola oil. I use coconut oil when I make this recipe.
- Flavocal. This is the key ingredient to making movie theater style popcorn at home. I think some Home Depots carry it (it’s hit or miss) but you can order it online which is what I did.
- Popcorn kernels.
First you need a large pot. Place the large pot over medium high heat.
Once the pot is getting warm, add the coconut oil and flavocal to the pan. Stir the flavocal into the oil until it has dissolved.
It won’t take long for the coconut oil to get hot, maybe 1 minute or so.
Once the oil is hot place the popcorn kernels into the pot and cover with a lid.
Wearing hot pads, these are my favorite, gently and carefully shake the pot to “stir” the popcorn kernels to prevent them from burning.
Pro tip: shake the pot every 10-15 seconds. If this seems a bit excessive, only shake the pot every 20-30 seconds.
I really dislike any sign of burnt popcorn so I like to keep the kernels moving about which is why I shake it every 15 seconds. 🙂
The popcorn will finish popping after 2-3 minutes; it doesn’t take long.
Remove the pot from the heat and transfer the popcorn to a large bowl.
Now grab a large handful of popcorn and shove it in your mouth. SEE?! It tastes just like the real movie theater popcorn! Isn’t it amazing!
I know what you’re thinking… “You forgot to add butter.”
You don’t need butter with this popcorn.
Now go watch a movie and enjoy your big bowl of popcorn!
Have you made a recipe from Salt & Baker? If so make sure you leave a rating and comment below! I love hearing from you!
And don’t forget to subscribe to Salt & Baker! You’ll receive a weekly recipe straight to your inbox, (no spam, ever)!
Movie Theater Popcorn
- 1 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Flavocal
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- Set a large pot over medium high heat. Once the pan is warm, add the coconut oil and Flavocal. Stir the flavocal until is dissolves in the oil.
- The oil should be fairly hot after a minute. Once hot, add the popcorn kernels to the pot and cover the pot with a lid.
- Wearing hot pads (see notes), shake the pot every 10-15 seconds to ensure the popcorn kernels don't burn.
- Once all of the kernels have popped, remove the pot from the heat and trasnfer the popped popcorn to a large bowl. Serve!
- You can use less than the noted 1 tsp of flavocal. 3/4 teaspoon will give you a lighter and more subtle “salty” taste.
- I use these glove style hot pads. They are the best!