Parmesan popcorn is a delicious and satisfying snack! When you’re craving a cheesy popcorn recipe, this butter and cheese coated popcorn is the BEST!
I’ll be honest, if you don’t like parmesan cheese, you won’t like this popcorn.
You can taste the parmesan; which is the whole point of making parmesan popcorn, right?
It’s a great snack option when you’re craving popcorn but want something more sophisticated and flavorful.
Parmesan Popcorn Ingredients
- Oil – use a high heat oil such as vegetable, grapeseed, or canola oil.
- Popcorn kernels.
- Salt & pepper – for seasoning the popcorn to your liking.
- Butter – can use unsalted or salted. The butter needs to be melted, as this is what you’ll pour over the popcorn once it has been popped.
- Parmigiano reggiano – which is real parmesan cheese. If you don’t have this, classic parmesan will be fine.
How to make Parmesan Popcorn
- Warm the oil. In a large pot set over medium high heat add the oil. Once the oil is warm, stir in the salt.
- Add popcorn kernels. Once the oil is hot pour in the popcorn kernels. Cover the pot with a lid. Wearing heatproof gloves or hot pads, carefully shake the pot so that the kernels do not burn. When the popcorn has finished popping remove the pot from the heat.
- Add toppings. Transfer the popcorn to a serving bowl. Drizzle butter overtop and sprinkle the finely grated parmigiano reggiano cheese on the popcorn. Toss to coat.
- Season with salt & pepper.
FAQ and tips
I used the stovetop method for this recipe. If you’d rather not deal with cooking the popcorn kernels in a pot with oil, you can use an air popper. I mean, that would be a lot easier… I should have done that. Ha!
The only slight downside to using air popped popcorn is that the popcorn cools off pretty quickly after being popped. When using the stovetop version, the popcorn stays pretty warm for a few minutes after being popped (because it stays in the hot pot). Because of this the parmesan cheese gets a bit melty and spreads over the popcorn a little better. However, don’t let this deter you from using a popcorn air popper.
More popcorn recipes:
If you make this recipe, or any recipe on Salt & Baker, I would love for you to come back and leave a review. Your comments help other readers who are making the recipes too!
And one more thing, if you use Instagram, snap a picture of your food and tag @saltandbaker in your post and stories so I can see what you’re making. 💛
- 3 tablespoons oil - grapeseed, canola, vegetable oil (use a high heat oil)
- 1/2 cup popocorn kernels
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons butter - melted
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmigiano reggiano - classic parmesan is fine too
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set a large pot over medium high heat. Add the oil and salt. Once oil is hot add the kernels. Cover pot with lid. Wearing heatproof gloves or hot pads, carefully shake the pot so that the kernels do not burn.
- When the popcorn has finished popping remove from heat. Transfer the popcorn to a serving bowl. Drizzle butter overtop and sprinkle cheese on the popcorn. Toss to coat. Season with salt & pepper.
One Comment on “Parmesan Popcorn”
Love this parmesan popcorn! Makes family movie nights fun when we can spice up the popcorn we are eating. Thanks for the recipe.