Red Velvet Popcorn
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Red Velvet Popcorn is made by drizzling white chocolate over fluffy popcorn then tossed in red velvet cake crumbs!
Yes. I totally went there.
I added cake to my popcorn.
This shouldn’t come as a big surprise to you, considering I added bacon to my popcorn. Yes, bacon popcorn. It’s totally a thing.
And so is cake popcorn, or should I say, RED VELVET cake popcorn! ??
For some reason red velvet is the unofficial cake/dessert for Valentines Day. So if you’re looking for a Valentines Day snack you can make with kids this is the perfect treat to make!
How to make Red Velvet Popcorn
First, we need to bake a red velvet cake. Using a box cake mix simplifies things, so that’s what I did. However, there are loads of red velvet cake recipes on the internet. So if you want to make one from scratch, go right ahead!
I baked the red velvet cake in a 9″x13″ inch pan. Once you bake the cake, let it cool.
Then proceed by crumbling 1/3 of the cake. You need a total of 4 cups of cake crumbs.
To crumble the cake, I simply dug into the cake and starting breaking the cake into small pieces. It was a lot of fun! If you have children or grandchildren, get them involved in this step!
Once you’ve crumbled the cake it’s time to pop some popcorn. I used my air popper for this.
Place the freshly popped popcorn on a wax paper lined baking sheet OR place it in a large bowl. You’ll see why in just a moment.
Next, it’s time to melt the white chocolate chips. Do this in the microwave at half power, stirring every 30 seconds or use a double boiler.
Once the white chocolate is fully melted pour it over the popcorn.
After I made this Red Velvet popcorn recipe, I realized it may have been easier to place the popcorn in a large bowl rather than on a baking sheet, and drizzle the white chocolate over top of the popcorn. Either way, you need to drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn.
Once you’ve successfully done that and you’ve tossed everything so that all of the popcorn is coated, transfer the popcorn to the wax paper lined baking sheet (if you tossed the popcorn in the bowl) and place the cake crumbs overtop of the white chocolate covered popcorn.
Gently toss the popcorn so that the red velvet cake crumbs are covering the popcorn.
Let the popcorn set for 10-15 minutes and then serve!
This would be so cute packaged and gifted to friends, family, and loved ones.❤️
If you like this Red Velvet Cake Popcorn Recipe, try these:
Craving more? SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there!
Red Velvet Popcorn
- 1 box red velvet cake mix baked according to package directions
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- 12 cups freshly popped popcorn about 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- Once the cake has been baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool. Once cool, crumble about 1/3 of the cake into small pieces. You’ll need 4 cups of crumbled cake.
- In a medium size bowl add the white chips and vegetable shortening. Microwave at half power in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until fully melted. *
- Line 1 baking sheet with wax paper. Spread the popcorn over the baking sheet. Drizzle the melted white chocolate over the popcorn, and gently toss to coat. **
- Immediately sprinkle the red velvet cake crumbs over the white chocolate covered popcorn. Gently toss until the popcorn is evenly coated with the cake crumbs.
- Let the chocolate set. Serve!
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting my website!