These s’mores cookies taste just like your favorite campfire treat. Each cookie is baked on a graham cracker square, topped with a marshmallow-filled chocolate chip cookie and Hershey’s chocolate bar pieces! I’m a sucker for chocolate chip cookies and graham crackers, and this cookie doesn’t disappoint!
Why This Recipe Works
- With these cookies, you get the crunch from the graham cracker and the flavor coming through for that full on s’mores cookie effect.
- The marshmallow gets gooey just enough to make you feel like you are eating a s’more without overpowering the chocolate chip cookie base.
- It turns a classic outdoor treat into an easy indoor cookie!
- I’m obsessed with this recipe because I’ve tried adding graham cracker crumbs to s’mores cookie recipes in the past, but the graham cracker flavor or crunch never came through. This recipe makes the cookies taste just like a campfire s’more in cookie form because it is baked on a graham cracker, making sure all the elements of your favorite campfire treat come through.
- Graham Crackers, Mini Marshmallows, Hershey’s Chocolate Bar: These are our staple s’mores ingredients
- Cinnamon: The cinnamon in the cookie dough isn’t overly pronounced, it just adds a bit of warmth and interest to the cookie.
- Butter: I like to stick to using unsalted butter. The butter should be at room temperature so that it creams with the sugars seamlessly.
- Chocolate chips: Use semi-sweet chocolate chips or bittersweet chocolate chips. The Hershey’s milk chocolate bars are fairly sweet so you’ll want that differing chocolate to offset the sweetness.
- Remaining Cookie Dough Ingredients: We make the cookie dough and add the mini marshmallows to it.
- Whisk the dry ingredients.
- Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix. Then mix in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Lay graham cracker squares along the bottom of a cookie sheet, keeping them close together (practically touching). Also, I would like to point out that this recipe makes 30 cookies, however you will see I only have 29 graham cracker squares in the picture below. I ate a full cookie’s worth of cookie dough. I’d apologize, but I’m not sorry. The cookie dough was delicious. 🙂
- Scoop the dough into 2 tablespoon-sized balls. Using your palm gently press down on the dough to make it a disk. Set the disk of dough in the middle of each graham cracker square.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and press Hershey pieces on top.
- Bake for an additional 8-12 minutes. They are done when the edges are golden brown. You can see in the photo below that the cookies run into each other, this is a good thing. It means the graham cracker pieces are fully covered by the cookie! Remove the cookies from the oven, cut/separate the cookies from one another, transfer to a wire rack to cool.
For the cookie dough, you can use a hand mixer or stand mixer. I LOVE my stand mixer so that’s what I use.
Freeze 1 cup of the mini marshmallows prior to making this recipe. This step is optional, but it will keep the marshmallows more intact as you’re mixing the dough. You can freeze all of the marshmallows if you wish, however, I liked that some of the soft mallows were broken up in the cookie dough.
Chilling the dough for 1 hour helps the dough set and flavor develop. Don’t skip this step.
Every oven is different, the baking times in the recipe are guidelines. Your oven might bake faster or slower so watch the cookies and pull them out when they are baked to your likeness.
Store the indoor s’mores cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
It’s a delicious cookie loaded with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips then baked on a graham cracker square. To make it extra s’mores-esque it is topped with a Hershey’s chocolate bar.
Can you freeze s’mores cookie dough?
Yes! That’s a great idea. Once you have the cookie dough made and rolled into balls, freeze on a cookie sheet for about 30 minutes before transferring the dough balls into a Ziplock bag. The dough balls will keep in the freezer for 3 months. Remove from the freezer and place on the graham cracker-lined cookie sheet and bake as directed. Watch the cookies as they may need an extra minute since the dough was frozen when it went into the oven.
How do you keep marshmallows from melting in cookies?
Unfortunately, since marshmallows are mostly sugar, they will get soft and gooey in the oven. However, if you freeze the mini marshmallows prior to adding them to your cookie dough, they will hold a bit more of a shape in the cookie.
More Cookie Recipes
- Crumbl Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Crumbl Oreo Sandwich Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossoms Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter - softened to room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar - packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs - at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 3/4 cup mini marshmallows - 1 cup of the mallows frozen prior
- 8.8 oz Hershey's chocolate bar - broken into pieces (2 XL bars)
- 15 graham cracker sheets - broken into squares
- In a medium sized bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars on medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and marshmallows. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay the graham cracker squares along the bottom of the pan, keeping them close together (touching).
- Scoop 2 tablespoon sized balls of dough. Gently press the dough balls down with your palm so that they look like a disk. Place a dough disk in the middle of each graham cracker square.
- Bake for 5 minutes, remove from the oven and press Hershey pieces on top. Bake for an additional 10-12 minutes. They are done when the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and cut/separate the cookies from one another. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
StoringStore the indoor s’mores cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
This recipe was originally published on July 13, 2020. It was republished on Aug. 10, 2021 to include additional information and photos.