Chocolate Chip Cookies
A chocolate chip cookie recipe you can count on! These chocolate chip cookies are soft, thick, chewy, and sprinkled with a touch of sea salt to excite your taste buds on a whole new level!
I’ve made a good deal of chocolate chip cookies throughout my life. I grew up making the Nestle Toll House chocolate chip cookie. Truthfully, they lack flavor and are bland.
My chocolate chip cookies have mini chocolate chips in the batter. The mini chocolate chips melt down to create small pockets of chocolate. You’re guaranteed chocolate in every single bite = chocolate chip cookie perfection!
There’s a secret to getting a more developed chocolate chip cookie flavor. Chill the dough.
I’m not talking about a 30 minute chill in the fridge. I highly recommend you chill this cookie dough for 24 hours.
We’re talking major patience for this recipe!
If you haven’t exited out of my website by now, then I’m impressed! I was skeptical about chilling dough for that long too. But I chilled it for 24 hours and I’m so glad I did.
The flavor is more pronounced after the cookie dough has been chilled for a longer period of time.
Years ago I would have never salted my cookies. Salt on top of cookies? Eww. NOOOO!
I was so wrong. It’s amazing! Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on each ball of cookie dough before you place them in the oven. Salt on the surface of the cookie will deepen the flavor and really let the flavors pop.
Do you love these Chocolate Chip Cookies? Here are more reader favorites:
Craving more? SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate (70% or higher), chopped into chocolate chip size chunks
- flaky sea salt to sprinkle over chocolate chip dough balls before baking
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or with hand held beaters, cream the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. About 3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and 1 egg. Mix. Add the second egg. Mix to combine. With mixing speed on low, slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix until incorporated. Add in the chocolate chips, and chocolate chunks. Mix. (You may have to mix in the chocolate by hand). Once the chocolate is mixed into the dough, place the cookie dough in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for 24-72 hours.
- When ready to bake preheat the oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Using a 2 T size cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough and place on the prepared baking sheet. (12 cookies per sheet). Lightly sprinkle the cookie dough balls with flaky sea salt. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until lightly golden brown on the edges. The centers will appear soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.