Citrus Summer Salad
Summer means fresh fruit and salads for me, especially when it includes this Citrus Summer Salad! We drizzle a citrus vinaigrette overtop fresh lettuce greens, chopped fruit, and nuts. And let me tell you, the dressing is amazing. It has hints of sweetness from the fresh orange juice with a subtle tanginess to it. It’s exactly what you need this summer!
Summer Salad Ingredients
- Mixed greens – I love mixed green salads, but you can also mix and match the different leafy greens you use — whether you like a kale, spinach and romaine mix or an iceberg loyalist, the vinaigrette pairs well with a variety of options.
- Nuts – I used sliced almonds, but you can use pecans, walnuts, cashews or any other nut variety you have on hand. You may consider adding candied pecans for a sweeter spin.
- Fruit – use a variety of fruits! Anything will work here. I added grapes, oranges, strawberries, and blackberries.
The Amazing Citrus Vinaigrette
For the vinaigrette you’ll need:
- Cider vinegar
- Fresh orange juice – I haven’t tried making this with a different citrus juice but feel free to do so! You may need to taste as you go. Depending on the fruit juice you use, you might need to add more or less honey to the vinaigrette.
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic cloves
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
How to make Citrus Summer Salad
- Add the vinaigrette ingredients into a liquid measuring cup and mix to combine. Slowly stream in the olive oil, whisking constantly and vigorously until the dressing is combined and emulsified. Cover and store the dressing in the fridge until ready to use.
- Add the mixed greens, nuts, chopped fruit, and any additional salad mix-ins to a large bowl.
- Drizzle the citrus vinaigrette overtop and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
You can top this salad with just about any fruit but here are some ideas and suggestions:
- Oranges/mandarin oranges
Summer Salad Topping Variations
- To make it a hearty meal add chopped cooked chicken to the salad.
- Add crumbled feta cheese, goat cheese or gorgonzola to the salad.
- Be creative with the type of nuts you use on the salad. Macadamia nuts would be so delicious!
FAQ and Recipe Tips
Make ahead of time – you can make the vinaigrette ahead of time. Just store it in the fridge, covered, until ready to use. Before serving, remove from the fridge and whisk until ingredients are smooth and thoroughly combined.
Just remember, salads don’t keep well if the dressing has been poured overtop, so plan accordingly.
More Delicious Salad Recipes
If you make this recipe and love it, I would be so grateful if you left a rating below. Thank you! 💕
Citrus Summer Salad
- 6-8 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup grapes
- 2 oranges - mandarin oranges or sliced navel oranges
- 1/4 cup blackberries
- 1/4 cup strawberries - sliced
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Place the salad greens in a large bowl. Top with the nuts and fresh fruit. Drizzle the vinaigrette overtop and toss to coat. Alternatively, you can make the salads on an individual basis by adding the greens to small plates and sprinkling the desired toppings overtop.
- In a liquid measuring cup whisk the vinegar, orange juice, honey, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly stream in the olive oil and whisk vigorously until fully combined. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to use.
One Comment on “Citrus Summer Salad”
I love a salad with fruit, and citrus is only a bonus! Made this for a baby shower and the presentation was beautiful and to top it off was as tasty as it looks. The dressing is very refreshing. Was so pleased with the addition it made to our food presentation.