This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A sausage dip you can count on (comes out perfectly every time)! This spicy sausage cream cheese dip is highly addicting and loved by everyone! It’s the perfect appetizer and chip dip for game day or parties!
If I could only eat one chip dip for the rest of my life, it would be this sausage dip! It has the perfect amount of spice and creaminess. We make it every year for the Super Bowl, New Years Eve, Thanksgiving, Easter, my birthday… honestly, the list goes on and on! To say we love it, is a drastic understatement.
My mother-in-law was the one who introduced me to this dip, and folks, it’s the greatest dip of all time!
Ingredients needed for Sausage Dip
- Hot pork sausage & regular pork sausage. Jimmy Dean brand is the best.
- Sour cream.
- Cream cheese.
- Canned jalapeños – you can use fresh jalapeños if you’d like. Not sure how much you’d want, I suggest you use the same amount of fresh jalapeños as you would canned.
- Dried chopped onion – this is what my mother-in-law uses in her dip; you can always add 1/2 cup of diced onion to the sausage as you’re browning it and then forgo adding the dried onion.
- Onion powder.
How to make Sausage Dip
Like I mentioned above you’ll need hot pork sausage and regular pork sausage.
Start by browning the sausage until fully cooked. As you’re browning it, be sure to break up the sausage into bite size pieces.
Once the meat has browned discard any excess grease that may have accumulated during cooking.
Add the cream cheese, sour cream, jalapeños (can use fresh jalapeños), onion powder, and dried chopped onion to the cooked sausage. Stir to combine.
Pro tip: I keep the sausage dip over a low heat while I’m mixing the cream cheese, sour cream, and other ingredients. This helps keep the meat warm to encourage the cream cheese to softened and incorporate seamlessly.
Serving Sausage Cream Cheese Dip
Serve the sausage cream cheese dip warm, with tortilla chips.
To store, keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Sausage dip will last for 7-9 days in the refrigerator.
One reader commented that he uses this sausage dip recipe to make stuffed jalapeños; rather than add jalapeños to the dip he uses the creamy sausage mixture to stuff jalapeños. Such a great idea!
This sausage dip is creamy, delicious, and so easy to make! If you’re looking for a game day appetizer or a chip dip to serve at a party, make this! You’ll be so glad you did!
And if you’re lucky you might have leftovers. But I wouldn’t count on it.
More dip and appetizer recipes you’ll love:
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Bites
- Best Guacamole Recipe
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- Cucumber Baguette Sandwiches
Subscribe to Salt & Baker
If you love these recipes, be sure and subscribe. You’ll get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox…. you don’t want to miss out!
And remember, if you make a recipe from my blog be sure to share it on social media. Tag @saltandbaker and #saltandbaker so I can see what you’ve made! (And for a chance to be featured on my social channels!)
- 16 oz Hot pork sausage, I use Jimmy Dean brand
- 16 oz Regular pork sausage, I use Jimmy Dean brand
- 2 T + 1 tsp canned diced jalapeños, I don't drain the liquid.
- 16 oz sour cream, can use light
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried chopped onion*
- 1 tsp onion powder
- In a large pan over medium heat, brown the sausage. Crumbling it up into small pieces as you go.
- Once the sausage is brown and cooked all the way through, drain any liquid. Add the cream cheese, sour cream, diced jalapeños, dried chopped onion, and onion powder.
- Turn heat down to medium-low. Stir until cream cheese is melted and all of the ingredients are incorporated
- Serve warm with tortilla chips.
This post was first published in December 2017, it has since been updated with new photos and better instructions.