Homemade Sausage Gravy
This Homemade Sausage Gravy is one of my favorite breakfasts! I like to eat it on top of my buttermilk biscuits. There are numerous ways to enjoy this gravy, you can enjoy it on waffles, drizzled over potatoes, or with fried chicken!
You will go crazy for this recipe! I add a hint of thyme to my sausage gravy, which elevates the flavors soooo much.
This recipe uses 5 simple ingredients, which means you can make this on a whim!
- Pork sausage – I always use Jimmy Dean brand sausage. It’s my absolute favorite! I feel like it’s maybe a tad saltier than other brands, which I love.
- Butter – used to help make a roux. Plus, butter! 😍
- All purpose flour – can substitute a gluten free flour here if you’d like.
- Half & half – you don’t *have* to use half and half. In fact, regular milk will be just fine.
- Thyme – I used dry thyme to mix into the gravy. Can can use fresh thyme, but if you do, you’ll need to add more than what’s called for in the recipe. Add the seasoning slowly. My best advice: taste and season as you go.
- Salt & pepper to taste. I don’t really count this into the “5 ingredients” because they’re basically a universal ingredients used in practically every recipe.
How to make homemade sausage gravy
- Brown sausage. I use the Jimmy Dean brand.
- Make a roux: add butter to the pan. Once melted stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly stir in the half and half and cook until thickened.
- Season with thyme and freshly ground pepper.
This gravy recipe will make enough to serve over 8 biscuits, which is equivalent to 1 batch of my homemade buttermilk biscuits. 🙌🏼
Looking for more delicious breakfast recipes? Try these!
Overnight Coconut Chia Pudding
Homemade Sausage Gravy
- 1 lb pork sausage - I like Jimmy Dean brand
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- In a large saucepan, brown the sausage. Drain excess liquid. I like to use a paper towel to gently blot out any excess grease.
- Over medium low heat add butter to the pan. Once melted, add the flour. Mix to combine. Then add the half and half. Stir frequently for several minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the thyme, pepper, and salt. Stir. Serve warm over buttermilk biscuits. Can top with additional thyme if you desire.
This post was first published April 2, 2018 and has since been republished on February 7, 2020 with additional photos and information.
2 Comments on “Homemade Sausage Gravy”
Was looking for the perfect homemade biscuits and gravy recipe and we found it with this one! Simply amazing! Simple ingredients and the flavor is exactly what I was looking for. So happy! Highly recommend this recipe! Thank you so much!
Phenomenal recipe. Had this for breakfast over the weekend. Love the addition of the spices, they really vamp up the flavor without being overpowering. This is a seriously good biscuits and gravy recipe. Happy to have found it!