Simple Biscuits and Gravy Recipe
This simple Biscuits and Gravy Recipe is bursting with flavor! Adding thyme to this classic recipe elevates the flavor on so many levels!
Biscuits and Gravy is a classic when it comes to breakfast! You can’t go wrong by serving this for breakfast at a family gathering or even any ‘ole day of the week.
Truth be told, it’s easy to make biscuits and gravy! Let me show you how.
How to make simple biscuits and gravy recipe:
- Brown sausage. I use Jimmy Dean brand.
- Add butter to the pan, then flour. Cook that for one minute.
- Slowly whisk in the half and half. Cook until thickened.
- Season with thyme and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve warm over buttermilk biscuits.
I love Jimmy Dean sausage but you can use any brand. I use it in this recipe. It’s our go-to chip dip.
This sausage gravy reigns supreme when compared to others.
The faint hint of thyme in the gravy adds a subtle flavor that will have you making this simple biscuits and gravy recipe again, and again, and again.
Looking for more delicious breakfast recipes? Try these!
Craving more? SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there!
Biscuits and Gravy
- 8-10 Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- In a large saucepan, brown the sausage. Drain excess liquid. I like to use a paper towel to gently blot out any excess grease.
- Over medium low heat add butter to the pan. Once melted, add the flour. Mix to combine. Then add the half and half. Stir frequently for several minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the thyme, pepper, and salt. Stir. Serve warm over buttermilk biscuits. Can top with additional thyme if you desire.