M&M Rice Krispie Treats
These M&M Rice Krispie Treats are soft, chewy, and can be made with any color M&Ms — just switch up the color of M&Ms and you have a versatile holiday treat any time of the year!
Looking for more recipes like this? Check out my classic Rice Krispies Treats recipe and my Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats recipe! Another one of my favorite recipes that uses Rice Krispies cereal is Scotcharoos! You can also make these treats with Fruity Pebbles!
Why This Recipe Works
- Super soft Rice Krispie treats. If you’ve eaten a Rice Krispy treat — and odds are you have — did you LOVE them? I never did! I always thought they were hard and crunchy! Turns out I just didn’t understand the art of the Rice Krispy treat 😂. Luckily for you, these M&M Rice Krispy treats are super soft! 🎉
- Customizable for any holiday or event. The beauty of this recipe is you can pick whatever color of M&Ms you want to fit for the event or holiday you are celebrating! Grab your festively colored M&Ms and let’s get to it!
- Flavorful and moist. Ever had a bland Rice Krispie? Bet you have! But don’t you worry — these treats are super flavorful and are far from bland! The added marshmallows also help provide a creamier mixture so the treats aren’t dry!
- Unsalted Butter: If you use salted butter, just be sure to reduce the amount of salt you add by at least 1/2.
- Mini Marshmallows: The mini marshmallows melt more quickly so there’s less risk of over cooking them. Plus, they disperse better throughout the M&M Rice Krispie treats.
- Kosher Salt: Kosher salt is a bigger salt crystal than table salt, so be sure to adjust your measurements accordingly. (If using table salt, use half the amount called for in Kosher salt.) The Kosher salt is important because it really enhances the flavor of the recipe.
- Vanilla Extract: The vanilla gives an additional depth of flavor so you aren’t just having straight marshmallow.
- Milk Chocolate M&Ms: Depending on the time of year, pick the colored M&Ms that are associated with the nearest holiday. I made these during the month of February, so I grabbed the red, pink and white colored M&Ms for some Valentines Rice Krispie treats!
- Make the marshmallow mixture. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium low heat. Once melted, add 8 cups of the mini marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows start to melt. Then add the vanilla, kosher salt and cereal. Remove the pot from the heat the stir.
- Add remaining marshmallows and M&Ms. Once the cereal is mostly covered in the marshmallow mixture, add the remaining 2 cups of mallows and the M&Ms.
- Place in prepared pan. Gently place the mixture into an 8×8-inch pan that’s been lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Let set for 10-15 minutes until serving.
I like to freeze the M&Ms before mixing them into the mixture so they don’t melt as readily. This is optional though.
I used 8×8-inch pan because I wanted a thick Rice Krispie treat.
Do you want to know my biggest tip to make the best Rice Krispie treats? First, think about all those hard, dense Rice Krispies you’ve had in the past. Chances are, those were PACKED into the pan. Please just gently place the mixture into the pan. I barely even press the mixture down. All you want to do is spread the mixture so it lays evenly in the pan. You do NOT want to pack it in or the treats will be dense and hard.
Also, if the mixture is sticking to your hands, gently rub butter onto your hand and then use your hand to press the mixture into the pan. It might be hot so be careful! But this will prevent it from sticking to you 🙂
I made these Rice Krispy treats with M&Ms that are pink, white and red just in time for Valentine’s Day! But you can also make these with red and green, orange and black, pastel, red and blue, and more to fit for any holiday!
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
If making ahead of time, store the M&M Rice Krispie treats in an airtight container or Ziplock bag with the air pressed out of it. It’s important that the treats be store in something that can be airtight so the treats don’t get hard.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Do NOT store the Rice Krispies in the fridge or else they will go hard and won’t soften back up at room temperature. (Same goes for freezing!)
They can be hard for a few reasons: The cereal and/or marshmallows you used were stale. Be sure to use fresh marshmallows and Rice Krispies cereal! The second reason could be that you over cooked the marshmallow mixture. Using mini marshmallows helps combat this because they melt really quickly so your mixture isn’t on the stove for very long. Big or regulars marshmallows will take longer to melt, meaning your pot will be on the heat longer. The third reason for hard Rice Krispies could be that you packed them into your pan. Remember to just place them in the pan!
No you don’t. But the bigger your pan, the thinner your M&M Rice Krispies will be.
I use the mini marshmallows! I think they work better because they disperse through the treats more easily and they melt quicker, meaning your mixture won’t be at risk of over cooking from being on the stove longer.
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a rating and review, or scroll below the recipe card and do so there.
Stay up-to-date by following us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
M&M Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter - salted butter is fine too!
- 10 cups mini marshmallows - divided, see notes
- 6 cups rice Krispy cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate M&M’s - sometimes I like to freeze them so they don't melt as readily. This is optional though.
- Line an 8×8 *pan with foil. Gently cover with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium low heat. Once melted add 8 cups of the mini marshmallows to the pan. When the marshmallows are just melted, add the vanilla, kosher salt, and Rice Krispies cereal. Remove from heat. Stir.
- Once the Rice Krispies cereal is mostly covered with the melty marshmallow mixture, add the remaining 2 cups of mini marshmallows and the M&M’s. Stir to combine.
- Place the Rice Krispies treat mixture into the foiled pan. Gently press into an even layer.
- Let set. Enjoy!
This recipe was originally published on Jan. 28, 2018. It was republished on Feb. 4, 2022, to include additional information and photos.
4 Comments on “M&M Rice Krispie Treats”
Adding salt and unmelted marshmallows along with not pressing the Rice Krispie treats too hard into the pan really take this recipe to the next level. Definitely the best Rice Krispie treats I’ve ever made 🙌🏻
Have you used regular sized marshmallow for this? What would the equivalent be? Thanks!
I haven’t used the large sized marshmallows before. The mini are easier because they will disperse better. You can TRY using the regular size mallows, but I can’t guarantee the same results. Let me know how it goes!
Awesome! Easily my favorite Rice Krispie treat! Thanks!