Valentine Rice Krispie Treats
These Valentines Day M&M Rice Krispie Treats are soft, chewy, and filled with milk chocolate M&M’s. Just switch up the color of M&M’s and you have a versatile holiday treat any time of the year!
You’ve eaten a rice krispy treat. I know you have. Chances are you probably don’t love them. I didn’t. The Rice Krispies I ate during my childhood were hard, extra crispy, and bland. To be honest, I thought of Rice Krispies as a cop-out dessert.
I was wrong.
Rice Krispies are a perfect treat/dessert! You just have to make them correctly.
Am I always so critical of desserts? Why yes! Yes, I am.
But that’s a good thing! Right? This means, the recipes I share with you are top notch! And this rice crispy treat recipe is just that!
- Mini Marshmallows.
- Rice Krispie cereal.
- Valentines Day colored milk chocolate M&M’s. (Or any other festive holiday colored M&M’s).
- Vanilla extract.
- KOSHER SALT (this one is important! It seriously elevates the flavor).
Once you have these basic ingredients grab a large pot and melt the butter.
Once melted add the 8 cups of marshmallows. When these marshmallows turn melty, add the vanilla, kosher salt, and Rice Krispies cereal. You are going to LOVE the addition of vanilla and kosher salt! Every time I make these Rice Krispies Treats I get raving reviews!
At this point, you’re almost done making the Valentines Day M&M Rice Krispies Treats!
After adding the cereal, stir until mostly combined. Remove from the heat and add the remaining 2 cups of marshmallows and the M&M’s. After everything is mixed together, place the mixture into an 8 x 8 inch pan, or a 9 x 9 inch square pan. I did an 8 x 8 inch pan because I wanted a thicker Rice Krispie treat. GENTLY press the mixture into the pan. Think about those hard, dense Rice Krispies you’ve had in the past… chances are those were PACKED into the pan. So don’t be too aggressive with this step.
Patiently wait until they’ve set or dive right in and eat them while they’re still warm. That’s what I do ?
Valentine Rice Krispie Treats (M&M Rice Krispie)
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter - salted butter is fine too!
- 10 cups mini marshmallows - divided, see notes
- 6 cups rice Krispy cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate M&M’s - sometimes I like to freeze them so they don't melt as readily. This is optional though.
- Line an 8×8 *pan with foil. Gently cover with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium low heat. Once melted add 8 cups of the mini marshmallows to the pan. When the marshmallows are just melted, add the vanilla, kosher salt, and Rice Krispies cereal. Remove from heat. Stir.
- Once the Rice Krispies cereal is mostly covered with the melty marshmallow mixture, add the remaining 2 cups of mini marshmallows and the M&M’s. Stir to combine.
- Place the Rice Krispies treat mixture into the foiled pan. Gently press into an even layer.
- Let set. Enjoy!